Chronicles of Chaos

Chronicles of an existence... Perfect Order within the Chaos.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Helloo Cabbie

There once was a cab I took and we had a conversation merely because I had several places to run, it was raining and he was kind enough to wait for me during all these runs. He looked to be about in his late 50's or early 60's so I was rather taken aback when he said if I didn't mind, we could stay in contact as frends. (Ok I have a warped mind, 50-something yr old uncles don't really wanna be my friend)

As things would have it, I managed to take the same cab again some time later from the same place , the street behind my office. I promptly avoided eye contact and when he seemed ready to recognize me, I feigned sleep with a light snore.

And the fifth or sixth time I took his cab again for home, he finally said it: "Forget already ah???! You going to (address of my destination) hor? See how I know??" At this point, no amount of feigning comatose would work so I had to put my long forgotten actings skills to the test. I had to pretend to stare at him and gave a blank stare. After five long minutes, I just gave a bare upper curl from the corner of my lips and became engrossed in scenes on the highway.

Today, it happened again. If I were paranoid I would swear this old dude was stalking me. Great... just what I asked Santa for... a stalker cab. I couldn't bring myself to wave him off and wait for another coz that was just hurtful. Know what his first words were to me when I flung open the passenger door? "We are fated to meet". My knees went weak and legs almost buckled (or perhaps it was just a slippery rainy day) before I climbed into the cab. He started asking me stuff like
a) if I was gonna go home to cook ( I nodded)
b) Do I stay with folks (I didn't answer him for a long time but nodded finally coz I've had 10 years of good convent upbringing)
c) Was I cooking for family ?
d) Why doesn't my mom cook for me?
e) Why don't I eat together with my folks?

I hardly said more than 10 words to him but he seemed content. I bet the next time I take his cab, he's gonna ask if I was married and do I have kids, and why wasn't I married. He would say the same thing all other cab drivers have said to me; "You not a bad person whaaat? Why don't wanna get married?".

Ooh... But I am a bad person... a very very bad person. I am the cab drivers WORST NIGHTMARE if I really havta be... I will bite the tyres of any cab that asks me that in the future. I will do my best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home