Chronicles of Chaos

Chronicles of an existence... Perfect Order within the Chaos.

Friday, April 02, 2010

Kill Count: 9 as of 1 April 2010

I was fussing with my new batch of seedlings and I realised that the roots for the cotton plant had already shot out from the jiffy starter. I was wondering what to do when a brilliant idea hit me. I could just add another jiffy pellet beneath and pray that the roots would penetrate into the new pellet.

So I started to get the new pellet ready.
I grabbed the seedling and was walking to the sink to commence the 'union' of two pellets, when the seedling pellet slipped from my fingers. In my haste to grab onto it, I snapped the plant in half. There was an audible crunch when the stem broke, not unlike the sound of crunching fresh lettuce stems. Sigh.... there goes Cotton No. 2.

Cotton No. 1 is still surviving but not by much. In frustration, I took the pot to the basin and added water viciously and peeked below the pot to see if water was leaking through. That was when I realised the root of Cotton 1 was peeking out of the hole at the base of my pot!

Cotton roots seem to be pretty strong because there was a piece of newspaper covering that hole. Sure, the tensil strength of that piece of newspaper might have already been weakened due to gradual watering but still... for the seedling root to punch through... impressive.

I think I shd be spending tomorrow transplanting Cotton No. 1 to my new pot with garden soil instead of anymore starters and trying to clear out the stuf I need to bring for sale on Saturday.

No rest for the wicked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home