Chronicles of Chaos

Chronicles of an existence... Perfect Order within the Chaos.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Letter To Send You On Your Way

Yesterday, as I was waiting for the cab to pick me up and send me to the office, I decided to check the mailbox for new mails.

I found two small white envelopes neatly typed, with stamps and the postmaster's stamp across the stamp. I realised the envelopes were not addressed to anyone. It just had my mailing address. I assumed the address was typed with an old fashioned typewritter because the font was very 'blocky'. I mused over the use of an old fashioned typewriter in this day and age.

Opening the first letter, I came across a singular piece of paper, printed to resemble a $50 actual currency note. The Chinese call this 'Hell Money'. This is usually burnt for their deceased so that they will not be poor in the netherlands (Hey! I don't write the legends, I just tell it). Apparently all chinese who die go to hell or something. Don't ask me why. It's even illegal to have chewing gum in this country!

There was also a miniscule piece of white paper about 4 inches long and 2.5 inches in width. On this white slip, were red, typed chinese characters there gave information of a lady, her Identity Card Number, her address in the same block as mine. She was living in #A1-83, I was living on #X9-85. There were also chinese characters which literally translated, read:
"Owe Money Pay Money.
If you still do not pay automatically,
be careful your house gets locked"

I went weak with disgust. I opened the second letter and it was a replica of the first. Sigh... I don't even know the lady in the unit. What the hell? My family were neither borrowers, nor do we indulge in vices.

In the next instance, my family's safety ran through my head. I wondered if every household got this letter or if it was just mine. What would happen if my family was in danger simply because they weren't on their most vigilant the day these Scums-of-Earth paid a visit?

My cab came just then. With a sigh, I decided to do what most cantonese would do at being treated with such ill-intent, and muttered a rather loud: "Ngor CHOY Gor lei!! Dai Ga Lai See!"

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home